Microsoft has adopted the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web compatibility. This new Microsoft Edge runs on the same Chromium web engine as the Google Chrome browser, offering you best in class web compatibility and performance.
The new Chromium based Microsoft Edge is supported on all versions of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server (2016 and above), Windows Server (2008 R2 to 2012 R2), and macOS.
Microsoft Edge will save items you want to download into your C:\Users\<username>\Downloads (%UserProfile%\Downloads) folder by default.
You can now add the Downloads button to the toolbar in Microsoft Edge. The Downloads button allow you to quickly view, manage, search, clear history, and change settings for your downloads from the toolbar in Microsoft Edge.
You can now also pin your downloads open in a pane along the right side of the browser. This allows you to see and manager your downloads while you browse and helps you stay more productive during those times where you need frequent access to your downloads.
This tutorial will show you how to pin and unpin downloads in a pane on the right side of the Chromium based Microsoft Edge.
Pin Downloads in Microsoft Edge
Open Microsoft Edge.
Click/tap on the Downloads button on the toolbar. (see screenshot below)
Click/tap on the Pin downloads button on the toolbar in the Downloads menu.
Unpin Downloads in Microsoft Edge
Perform one of the following actions to close the Downloads pane to unpin it: (see screenshot below)
- Click/tap on the Close downloads (X) button in the Downloads pane.
- Click/tap on the Downloads button on the toolbar in Microsoft Edge.
- Close Microsoft Edge.
- How to Add or Remove Downloads Button on Toolbar in Microsoft Edge
- How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- How to Turn On or Off Ask Where to Save in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- How to Turn On or Off Show Downloads Menu in Microsoft Edge
- How to Clear Download History in Microsoft Edge