Microsoft has adopted the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web compatibility. This new Microsoft Edge runs on the same Chromium web engine as the Google Chrome browser, offering you best in class web compatibility and performance.
The new Chromium based Microsoft Edge is supported on all versions of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server (2016 and above), Windows Server (2008 R2 to 2012 R2), and macOS.
You can keep track of the websites you visit frequently by adding them as favorites in Microsoft Edge.
Each profile in Microsoft Edge will have their own separate favorites.
Microsoft Edge allows you to easily import your favorites or bookmarks directly from other installed web browsers or from a HTML file.
You can use the ImportFavorites policy to enable or disable users to import favorites from another browser into Microsoft Edge.
- If you enable this policy, the Favorites check box is automatically selected in the Import browser data dialog box.
- If you disable this policy, favorites aren't imported at first run, and users can't import them manually.
- If you don't configure this policy, favorites are imported at first run, and users can choose whether to import them manually during later browsing sessions.
EXAMPLE: Import favorites always enabled or disabled in Microsoft Edge
The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.
(delete) = Default
0 = Always disabled
1 = Always enabled
Do step 2 (enable), step 3 (disable), or step 4 (default) below for what you would like to do.
This is the default setting for user choice to import favorites.
Save the .reg file to your desktop.
Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.
When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.
If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen Microsoft Edge to apply.
You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.
- How to Backup and Restore Everything in Microsoft Edge in Windows
- How to Enable or Disable Add, Remove, and Modify Favorites in Microsoft Edge
- How to Add a Site to Favorites in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- How to Pin and Unpin Favorites in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- How to Remove Duplicate Favorites in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- How to Import Favorites and Browser Data into Microsoft Edge Chromium
- How to Export Favorites to HTML file from Microsoft Edge Chromium
- How to Add or Remove Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- How to Add or Remove Favorites Button on Toolbar in Microsoft Edge Chromium