Microsoft has adopted the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web compatibility. This new Microsoft Edge runs on the same Chromium web engine as the Google Chrome browser, offering you best in class web compatibility and performance.
The new Chromium based Microsoft Edge is supported on all versions of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server (2016 and above), Windows Server (2008 R2 to 2012 R2), and macOS.
You can enable the Tab Groups experimental flag in Microsoft Edge to allow users to organize tabs into visually distinct groups, e.g. to separate tabs associated with different tasks.
Tab Groups includes the following features:
- Add tab to new or existing group
- Remove tab from group
- Name or rename group
- Open new tab in group
- Ungroup tabs in a group
- Close group to remove group and all added tabs
Add Tab to New Group in Microsoft Edge
While browsing in Microsoft Edge, perform one of the following available options below to add a tab to a new group: (see screenshots below)
- Right click or press and hold on a tab, and click/tap on Add tab to new group.
- Right click or press and hold on a tab, click/tap on Add tab to group, and click/tap on New group.
Type a name you want for this new group. (see screenshots below)
If you leave the "Name this group" field empty, you will see a colored dot for the tab group instead of a name.
Select a color you want for this group. (see screenshots below)
Add Tab to Existing Group in Microsoft Edge
If the tab you want to add to an existing group is currently already in a group, the tab will automatically be removed from the current group and added to the existing group you select.
While browsing in Microsoft Edge, right click or press and hold on a tab you want to add to an existing group. (see screenshot below)
Click/tap on Add tab to group.
Click/tap on an existing group name (ex: "Forums") you want to add the tab to.
- How to Enable or Disable Tab Groups in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- How to Enable or Disable Tab Groups Auto Create in Microsoft Edge
- How to Enable or Disable Tab Groups Collapse in Microsoft Edge
- How to Ungroup Tabs and Remove Tab from Group in Microsoft Edge
- How to Name or Rename Tab Group in Microsoft Edge