News and interests on the taskbar will begin rolling out to Windows 10 users on April 22, 2021.
News and interests on the taskbar provides easy access to information that’s important to you, without the distraction of switching between apps, websites, and other devices. View your location’s current weather conditions directly on your taskbar and hover over the icon to see concise, scannable information from sports and stocks to local news and breaking headlines.
The information shown in news and interests is personalized for individual users. Users can customize the content they see, enabling scenarios like the following:
- Keep an eye on nearby weather and traffic that may impact a commute.
To change the location shown for weather and traffic updates, select More options (…) on the Weather or Traffic card, and select Edit Location.
- Follow a topic related to professional or personal interests.
Follow a specific topic related to an industry, job role, or subject to learn more about. To follow a specific topic, select Manage Interests and select or search for a topic.
- Get personalized updates on stocks.
Keep an eye on major market indicators, see top gainers or losers, or create a watch list of stocks to see updates throughout the day.
- Share, save or see more stories.
Select More options (…) on headlines and articles in news and interests on the taskbar to share them with others or save them to read later. Users can also request to see more or fewer stories like the ones shown.
- Stay up to date with news and interests | Microsoft Support
- Personalized content at a glance: Introducing news and interests on the Windows 10 taskbar | Windows Blogs
- Group configuration: news and interests on the Windows taskbar | Windows IT Pro Blog
The News and interests feature requires the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser to be installed on your PC.
News and interests is only available on primary monitors and where the taskbar is aligned to the bottom of the screen.
EXAMPLE: News and interests on taskbar
Add or Remove News and Interests icon on Taskbar in Taskbar Context Menu
This option will not be available while Tablet Mode is turned on.
Right click or press and hold on the taskbar on your main display (if you have more than one display). (see screenshot below)
Click/tap on News and interests, and click/tap on either Show icon and text (default), Show icon only, or Turn off (hidden) for what you want.
Add or Remove News and Interests icon on Taskbar using a BAT File
The downloadable .bat files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.
0 = Show icon and text (default)
1 = Show icon only
2 = Turn off
Do step 2 (Show icon and text), step 3 (Show icon only), or step 4 (Hidden) below for what you want.
This is the default setting.
Save the .bat file to your desktop, and run it.
Unblock the downloaded .bat file, and run the .bat file.
You will now notice a command prompt quickly opens and closes to make the registry changes, and your screen quickly flicker as the explorer process is restarted to apply.
- How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Web Widget in Windows 10
- How to Enable or Disable News and Interests on Taskbar in Windows 10
- How to Enable or Disable Reduce Taskbar Updates for News and Interests in Windows 10
- How to Enable or Disable Open News and Interests on Hover in Windows 10
- How to Change Language of Feed for News and Interests in Windows 10
- How to Change Weather Location for News and Interests in Windows 10